The Turku Cathedral was originally much smaller than its present form. Built out of wood in the thirteenth century, the Cathedral was consecrated in 1300 (as mentioned in the previous post). In the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, stone was used to expand the church. Because Turku was a wealthy trade city, building materials like stone and brick were plentiful. The church remained Catholic until the Reformation slowly took hold in Finland in the sixteenth century. Eventually, Finland (then a part of Sweden) adopted the Lutheran faith in 1593.
However, like much of the city, the church was badly damaged by the Great Fire of Turku in 1827. Thus, much of the church, including the interior and present tower, was renovated in the 1830s. The Cathedral maintains a sense of modesty compared to Cathedral in Southern Europe such as the Duomo in Milan. Today, the Turku Cathedral is considered the National Shrine of Finland. The chiming of the bells at noon is broadcast on the radio station, YLE Radio 1.